Title: Highlight of the Year
Type: Non-linear design
Grade Rage: All
A fun and easy-to-execute lesson plan great for students of all ages with minimal supplies!
- Maped Fluo Peps Pen Highlighters x5 
- Maped Color’Peps Jungle Fine Tip Washable Markers 
- Paper (8.5×11 or 9×12)
- The student will create a non-objective linear design with two primary colors to produce a secondary hue that creates movement and texture to establish an interesting composition.
- Non-objective: No object
- Linear: Design made up of lines
- Primary colors: Red, Yellow & Blue
- Secondary color: Green, Purple & Orange
- Hue: Color
- Texture: Surface quality (smooth, sandy, wiry, hairy, etc.) Movement: Lines lead the viewers eye around the picture area
Overview & Directions:
- Have each student choose TWO Highlighter colors and ONE Fine Tip marker color. Give them one sheet of white paper 8 1⁄2 x 11 or 9 x 12.
- Tell students to select one color of highlighter first and make marks on their paper
- Taking the second color of highlighter, add more strokes to their design sometimes overlapping the first color to produce secondary hues
- Next, take a fine line marker and begin to outline shapes of color and add more texture and details
- Sign your name in the bottom right hand corner
Did you like this lesson plan? Share your creations on social networks with the hashtag #MapedDIY , we will be delighted to see what you’ve made! And find all our tutorials of creative activities online.
See you soon!